The old NAILSWORTH train station – now converted to a four-bedroom house – has been put up for sale for the first time in almost thirty years.
With its former waiting room, now living room, open on the station platform, the house will appeal to any railway enthusiast.
Originally built in 1867 as the terminus of the Stonehouse and Nailsworth Railway, it was later incorporated into the Midland Railway.
The station continued to provide passenger service until 1947, with the freight depot and service remaining open until 1966.
The property then fell into disuse until the current owners bought it and has since undergone a careful and sympathetic renovation, complete with the station master’s house, waiting rooms and elements of the meeting room of the original building expertly combined to create a unique and characterful four bedroom home. .
A Grade II listed building, it sits on a gated 1.596 acre lot.
These include formal gardens, a car park, a two storey outbuilding and woods.
There is a gated access to the front, and this leads to the original platform, with a useful lumber store and an old railway house on the left. This platform runs along the front of the station, with a covered seating area at the front of the building and steps leading up to a large, flat garden.
It is in the position of the original railway tracks, under the platform, and it stretches away from the property and leads to a beautiful area of secluded woods which is part of the title. This gives access to the cycle path, which was of course the original railway line. There is a productive growing area to the side of the house and beyond that is a 50 ” freight shed ‘style outbuilding. This space was modeled on an original railway storage building.
Estate agents Peter Joy were commissioned to sell the property at a guide price of £ 1,200,000. They have had immediate interest and several offers, and are happy to report that the property is now on offer to a very lucky buyer.
2021 photos courtesy of Peter Joy Estate Agents and Property Sellers.
1963 image courtesy of Neil Parkhouse from his book Gloucester Midland Lines – South vol 4A. See lightmoor.co.uk for more details.